Muhammad Jahanzeb Khan is currently working as Professor of Psychology at University of Peshawar, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. He served as Vice Chancellor, University of Swat from 2011 to 2015. He worked as Chairman and Professor of Psychology at University of Peshawar, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. He has been a Fulbright Fellow (at UC Berkeley during 2008-9). He has been teaching and teaching different courses to M.Sc./M.Phil./Ph.D. students since 1990 at the Department of Psychology, University of Peshawar, Pakistan. He has also been teaching in the Institute of Management Sciences, Institute of Management Studies, and College of Home Economics. He completed his MPhil (in the area of assessment in clinical settings) and then PhD on Ethnic Self-Discrepancy in Afghan refugees and native Pukhtoons in N-WFP.
He has been publishing in quality journals and also organized international conferences, seminars, and workshops. He has been editor of international and a national journals in the area of social sciences. He is supervising MPhil/PhD scholars as an HEC recognized supervisor. As a Fulbight Fellow, during his stay in the U.S., he was attached to the Graduate School of Education, Department of Psychology, and Psychology Clinic. He also delivered seminars at UC Berkeley and American University in Washington, DC. Besides his teaching and research engagements, he has been running an Assessment and Counseling Centre at the Institute of Management Sciences, Hayatabad, Peshawar and also acting as a consultant for teachers’ evaluation there. Dr. Khan has also been heading the Psychological testing and Computer sections of Department of Psychology, University of Peshawar.
He has been a member of several academic and administrative bodies in his university and other institutions (e.g., the Senate, Academic Council, Selection boards, and different committees of University of Peshawar, Peshawar University Teachers’ Association, Malakand University, KUST, and Institute of Management Sciences).
He has developed and adapted various cognitive and personality tests (e.g., Islamic Identity Scale, Pukhto Adjectives Checklist, Teachers Evaluation Scales, Islamic Identity Scale). He is a leading researcher in the area of Pukhtoon studies in social sciences in his part of the world. His other areas of interest are self and identity, social psychology, clinical psychology, and psychometrics.
PhD, University of Peshawar, Peshawar, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan, 2004
Major: Social and Clinical Psychology
Minor: Educational and Psychological Testing
Dissertation: A comparative study of ethnic self-discrepancy in Afghan refugees and native Pukhtoons in NWFP
MPhil, University of Peshawar, Peshawar, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan, 1996
Minor: Clinical Psychology
Topic: Validation and Norm Development of Salma Shah Depression Scale
Adviser: Professor Mah Nazir Riaz and Professor Ashiq Ali Shah (KPI, Canada)
2015 onwards: Professor, Department of Psychology, University of Peshawar, Peshawar, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan
2011-2015: Vice Chancellor, University of Swat, Saidu Sharif, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan
2009-2011: Professor, Department of Psychology, University of Peshawar, Peshawar, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan
2008: Fulbright Fellow, University of California, Berkeley, California, USA (Host: Professor Mark Wilson)
1998 -2007: Assistant Professor, University of Peshawar, Peshawar, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. Pakistan
1990-1998: Lecturer, University of Peshawar, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan
- Applied Social Psychology
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Intergroup Relations
- Organizational Behavior
- Person Perception
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Political Psychology
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Self and Identity
- Social Cognition
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Anis-ul-Haq, M., Bano, M., & Khan, M. J. (2005). A comparison of motivational orientations between middle and lower level bank managers. Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, 13(1-2), 80-87.
- Bano, M., Khan, M. J., & Ali, J. (2005). Psychomotor retardation in depression. Journal of Law and Society, 33(46), 75-80.
- Bond, M. H. et al. (2004). Culture-level dimensions of social axioms and their correlates across 41 cultures. Journal of Cross Cultural Psychology, 35(5), 548-570.
- Khan, I. & Khan, M. J. (2011). Socio-economic Status of Students and Malpractices used in Examinations in Urban Areas of District Peshawar, European Journal of Scientific Research, 49 (4). 601-609.
- Khan, M. J. (2006). Development and validation of Pukhto Adjectives Checklist. Central Asia, 58, 137-153.
- Khan, M. J. (2005). The ethnic-self perception of Pukhtoons across the Durand Line. Central Asia: Journal of Area Studies Centre for Russia, China, and Central Asia, 56, 11-21.
- Khan, M. J. (2005). The level of self-discrepancy among Afghani and Pakistani Pukhtoons. Central Asia: Journal of Area Studies Centre for Russia, China, and Central Asia, 57, 347-359.
- Khan, M. J. (2002). Islamic Identity Scale: Development and validation. Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, 10(2), 78-88.
- Khan, M. J., Ali, J. Rahman, F., Shah, B., & Khan, N. A. (2005). Burnout syndrome among university teachers. Journal of Law and Society, 33(46), 47-56.
- Khan, M. J., Khan, N. A., Bano, M., & Ali, J. (2006). Home-work stress, burnout, and social support in university teachers. Journal of Law and Society, 34(47), 49-58.
- Khan, M. J., Yousaf, U., & Hussain, R. (2004). Self efficacy and job satisfaction. Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, 12(1,2), 217-222.
- Saeed, T., Anis-ul-Haq, M., Khan, M. J., & Khan, N. A. (2006). Job insecurity, health, and job related attitudes: A comparison of different occupational groups of middle level telecom managers. Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, 14(1), 138-146.
- Adaptation of Tests in Pakistan
- Cross-Cultural Testing
- History of Psychology
- Organizational Theory and Behaviour
- Psychological Testing
- Social Psychology
- Test Construction and Related Issues
- The Use of SPSS in Psychology
- Use of Tests in Different Fields
Muhammad Jahanzeb Khan
University of Peshawar